Black History Month Poetry Contest Deadline
Allegheny West Conference Youth (AWCY) is pleased to announce the launch of the first-ever Black History Month Poetry Contest. We’d like to hear your original poems about black history, culture, experience, and/or social justice issues.
Win great prizes!
The first-place prize for each age group is $50, the second-place prize is $30, and the third-place prize is $20.
Make a video of yourself reciting your original poem, upload it to an online site (YouTube, Google Drive, One Drive), and submit a link to the video through our online form. In February, all poems will be presented in a virtual spoken word poetry event.
- There will be three age groups: 6–9 years old, 10–13 years old, and 14–17 years old.
- Poems must be sent via video link and must be original.
- Reflections on black history, culture, experience, and/or social justice issues should be included in poems.
- Each child is only allowed one entry that must be submitted in English.
- Poems do not have to rhyme.
- A typed copy of the poem must be submitted with the video.
- The author authorizes AWCY to publish the poetry and films on our website and in our promotional materials and to be published in a book.
- Poems are evaluated based on their originality and distinctiveness.
- All submissions need to be the author’s original work.
- The creator of the entry retains all ownership rights.
- The author permits to present their entry in a virtual spoken word production on February 28, 2023.
- Winners will be announced at the end of the contest.
Please submit the link to the video of your original poem via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 21, 2023.
Leave a comment